A perfect recipe you can make with pantry staples like chickpeas, tomatos and some spices. Aubergines never go wrong with chickpeas, lentils or fresh (frozen peas).
- 1 aubergine, sliced into 2cm cubes
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Gram masala.
- Pinch of salt
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 6 garlic cloves diced
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- 1/4cup sesmic seeds
- 1/2 cup of tahini-based dressing
- Naan, pita bread(optional) for serving
How to make it:
- Frist, roast the aubergine and cherry tomatoes; drizzle with olive oil, a pinch of salt and peppers and place in the oven. It will take 15-20 minutes but keep an eye as oven will vary.
- In a large pan, add the onions in olive oil and cook for 5 minutes until the onion becomes soft now add garlic and give them a good mix.
- Now add all spices, add chickpeas and a half tin of tomatoes and leave to simmer for 10 minutes gently.
- When the sauce becomes thick, add roasted aubergine and cherry tomatoes and give a good stir and cook on low flame for about 5 minutes.
- Now add fresh coriander. I like to drizzle over some tahini based dressing. You can make this dressing at home by simply adding some water and lemon juice.
- serve this curry with naan or rice.